Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Follicular Neoplasm

So they tell me. It is 2 x 5 cm. in size and is on my right thyroid gland. I felt a lump in my neck sometime in October. I was battling sore throat #23 of the season and I was rubbing my throat as I swallowed trying to see where it hurt the worst. At first I thought I was wrong, I must be pushing too hard on my throat and just think I feel a lump. But the lump was still there a few weeks later. ZoraLin had an appointment with one of our ENT's in December. So after he told me that her hearing was fine I asked him to just take a feel of my throat and tell me what he thought. He says, "Oh, there is definitely a lump, you should go see one of the endocrinologists." Of course, you can't just call the endo doc's office and get an appointment. You first have to see your primary physician who will decide what they want to do. (In this case, lab work and then a thyroid ultrasound.) Then you can get a referral to the endo Dr. who wanted to do a fine needle biopsy.

Then the endo doctor has the results of the biopsy. Next stop...back to the ENT surgeon who felt the lump in December! Surgery is scheduled for April 27th. They expect me to be off work for 2 to 3 weeks. Benign? Won't know until it is all removed and pathology has a chance to dissect it. Not exactly the vacation I was thinking of this summer. In fact, looks like it will be the only time off this summer because I don't have much extended illness time-off or vacation time to use. The endocrinologist tells me that for being a pretty simple procedure, it can really knock you for a loop. Just what I always wanted to be......loopy!!

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

You are in my prayers ! Hoping it is nothing ! What a vacation !!!! Does this mean ice cream ???

Charlotte and crew

The Montieth Family said...

Oh jeesh Cristie, I am SO SORRY to hear this news. You will be in our prayers.
((HUGS))!!!!

Mom to my China Posse said...

Your in my prayers, Big hugs sent your way, Kathy

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers