Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving.....

Thanksgiving has always just been a regularly scheduled holiday for me. When I was real young, it was held at my maternal Grandpa and Grandma's house which was right across the street from our house. My Mom and I would go over early to help cook. Actually I went to keep Grandpa occupied playing checkers, my Dad would come in later after doing his chores and catch up on his TV time and my Mom would help her mother in the kitchen. Every few years my Mother's sister, her husband and their son would travel to Kansas from California for Thanksgiving. My half brother and his wife would come, always showing up late. We would gather around the table, eat until we were stuffed, then the women would clean up the kitchen and dining room while the rest of us plopped into chairs to watch TV and maybe catch a few zzzzz's. Then around 7 pm we would heat everything back up and stuff ourselves again. Eat, rest and repeat!

Most of those folks are gone now. Thanksgiving is now my responsibility to cook. It has just been a given that I would cook turkey with all the trimmings if I didn't have to work that day. I really never gave it a second thought about the meaning of Thanksgiving. It's a holiday....right?

No this year I look around and see all the people I am thankful for. I think of the family members who are no longer gracing our table and I am sad that my children do not get the chance to meet them. But I am thankful that our beautiful children ARE sitting here at home at our table. I can't imagine our lives without each and everyone of them here with us. I have so much to be thankful for. I will cook, clean, eat and be merry....but most of all, I will be Thankful for the very special life we have.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have a blessed Thanksgiving, Christie!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers